Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Well, first of all, you need to wash your face with this stuff. It's an acne scrub. It will clean your pores and get rid of the old dead skin, okay?"
"Okay," I say, and wash my face.
"Good, good," she says. "Then we use this stuff to put right on your pimples. This goes after the bacteria in there. So just put a little on your fingertip and dab it on the big zits, okay?"
I rub that stuff all over my face.
"There, that's good," she says. " We do this twice a day, and your face should start clearing up in a week or two. A few months from now, you'll be brand-new."
That just gets me in the soul. Right there, I start to cry. Really, I just weep and wail.
Mary hugs me. She hugs me tightly. It feels great, I haven't been hugged like that since my mother died. I'm happy. I'm scared, too. I mean, I know the world is still a cold and cruel place. I know that people will always go to war against each other. I know that children will always be targets. I know that people will always betray each other. I know that I am a betrayer. But I'm beginning to think I've been given a chance. I'm beginning to think I might get unlonely. I'm beginning to think I might have an almost real family.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," I keep saying.
"It's okay," she says. "You'll be okay."
"Michael," I say. "My real name is Michael. Please, call me Michael."

I love this passage because it is the point when the main character finally feels like he belongs and sees that someone actually cares about him. Throughout the book he has been going by the name Zits but when he has a sense of identity, he decides to reveal his real name.

No comments:

Post a Comment